Falls Seeks Residents to Fill Volunteer Roles on Various Boards
Would you like to help guide the land development and planning, future business initiatives, historic preservation – and even the television-viewing options – in Falls Township?
Falls Township is seeking volunteers to serve on several advisory boards. The level of involvement varies, with some bodies meeting only quarterly, while others play a larger or more active role.
Serving on boards, commissions and committees is a great way for residents to stay up-to-date about the topics of greatest interest. Volunteers can take pride in helping to shape their community now and into the future.
Here’s an overview of the various board openings:
- The seven-member commission serves as the first set of eyes for any land developments proposed in Falls Township.
- The commission is tasked with ensuring that projects adhere to the Township’s regulations and take into consideration public safety, health, as well as traffic and other quality of life impacts.
- The commission advises the Falls Township Board of Supervisors, in some cases suggesting specific parameters for proposed developments.
- The commission has one vacancy.
- This term expires in 2017.
- The commission meets the fourth Tuesday of the month in the Falls Township public meeting room at 7 p.m.
Cable Advisory Board
- The five-member board advises the Supervisors on cable television and franchise agreements.
- The board has three vacancies, as well as the need for an alternate member.
- Terms are three years.
- Ideal for a new volunteer or someone pressed for time, the cable advisory board meets quarterly in the Falls Township Code Enforcement department at 7:30 p.m.
Community and Economic Development Commission
- The five-member commission works to improve business operations throughout the township.
- The commission began a study of Oxford Valley to better understand future development prospects and possible transportation improvement needs along the Lincoln Highway corridor.
- The commission also collaborated with the Falls Township Board of Supervisors in introducing the “Live Here, Spend Here” campaign in spring 2015. The effort highlights local businesses in Falls Township.
- The commission has four vacancies: three board members and one planning commission member.
- Terms are five years.
- The Community and Economic Development Commission meets the fourth Thursday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in the Falls Township public meeting room.
Historic Architectural Review Board
- The five-member board ensures historic integrity throughout the township.
- The board advises the Falls Township Board of Supervisors in matters such as appropriate land usage, parking facilities and signs, as well as adherence to lot dimensional regulations and minimum structural standards.
- The board also advises owners of historic buildings regarding rehabilitation, repairs, maintenance methods and technologies, adaptive use, economic and tax incentives and other historic preservation strategies.
- The board has one five-year vacancy – to be filled by a registered qualified building contractor.
Historic Preservation Commission
- The five-member commission advises the Falls Township Board of Supervisors in preserving the Township’s rich history.
- The board has two vacancies.
- One term expires in 2016 and the other is a five-year term.
- The commission meets at 7 p.m. on a special schedule.
If interested in joining any of these volunteer advisory bodies email a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.